The When When Contest is not an annual event because there isn't always snow on the ground on March 1st. The first When When Contest was held in 2008. The contest was held in 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2014.
The big question is.... "When will the snow MELT?" That's what I want to know.
When will it be ALL GONE?
Would you like to guess? I am having a contest. The cat, woofie or bun who guesses the date when there is NO MORE SNOW when Mom looks out this window will get a prize. The prize will be treats, and bragging rights! (Occasionally evil little chocolates have been known to appear in prize packages, but Mom is making no promises.)
Every morning Mom will get up and take a picture of this same view and post it on my blog. On the day she wakes up and THERE IS NO SNOW ANYWHERE IN THE PICTURE will be THE DAY. If you guess the EXACT day, you will get a prize. If NOBODY guesses the EXACT DAY, the cat who guessed the day CLOSEST TO the day, but not AFTER the day, will get the prize.
Here are the rules:
1. Each cat, woofie or bun gets ONE GUESS EACH. (Our friend Megan from Sydney Australia can enter even if she isn't a cat, but she's the only hooman who is eligible.)
2. Guesses must be in the comments of THIS POST.
3. Deadline is Midnight
4. You have to have a blog, or leave some way for us to get in touch with you, so we have to know who you are. If you have a blog, you're good to go. (We don't do Facebook.)
5. You can enter no matter where you live. Australia, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Canada... all are welcome to enter.
6. It's my blog, so if I wanna change the rules, I can.
Now for some useful information.
1. We face true East. South is to the right.
2. Sun melts the snow.
3. Rain melts it faster.
4. The average high temperature for March in New Hampster is 44F
5. The average low temperature for March in New Hampster is 18F
6. Winter isn't over, either. We have had big snowstorms at the end of February, and in March. It snows in April, too. So, guess accordingly.
7. *****The contest ends when there is NO SNOW on the ground in the picture. If it snows the next day, oh well, that's New England weather for you!*****
8. When the contest is closed, Mom will post a big list of all the entries and dates in my sidebar, so everybody will know who guessed what date. It is your responsibility to check that your name is there, and that your guess is correct. It's usually a big list, and adding the names gets complicated, so if your name is missing, let me know right away.
So put on your thinking caps, leave a guesstimate, spread the news, tell your furriends, and check back every day to see if you are the winner!
**updated March 7, 2015: The deadline to enter the contest has passed. Entries are now closed.