Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Not Wordless Wednesday

A lot of folks do not understand why I do not like it when my Mom walks onto the porch when I am already there. I would like to explain.

When Mom adopted me, I was about sixteen weeks old and I was a feral kit. I had never been handled by people until I was twelve weeks old, and that means I never had the opportunity to know they could be OK. It is a fact that a kitten that has not been exposed to people touch before twelve weeks will always be "feral," and rarely will such a kit grow up to be a people cat.

I am, and always will be, a feral.

My V-E-T says Mom has done an exceptional job with me. (I beg to differ. I believe it is the other way around, but neither one of them understands Cat, so what can I do?) I love my Mom. I sit next to her, sometimes I even sleep next to her. Occasionally I have been known to sit on her lap. I let her give me scritches. Sometimes I let her brush my furs, but not often.

Mom cannot touch me with both hands at once. She cannot touch my feet or my belly. (When we visited her friend Kathy in Maine a few weeks ago, Kathy asked how did Mom trim my claws. Answer: Mom doesn't.) In short, Mom cannot get me to do anything SHE wants me to do.

Mom cannot pick me up, and can count on one hand the number of times she has done so in the almost nine years I have lived with her. (Think about that. Mom CANNOT pick me up. I don't let her.)

To get me to the V-E-T, Mom has to chase me around the house. I hiss, and I scratch. I do not like being chased.

I never sleep with my back to Mom. In fact, Mom has never seen me sleep totally stretched out and relaxed. She thinks I must do it when she is away day-hunting. I'll never tell.

I am no dummy. I never put myself anyplace that does not have an escape route. If Mom comes into a room where I am napping and closes the door, I am instantly awake, and aware. I do not like it if ANYBODY blocks my escape route. I will always leave the area.

THAT'S why I hiss at Mom when she comes onto the porch when I am already there. She is blocking my escape route, and that makes me uncomfortable. If she is already on the porch, then it's OK for me to be there too, because my escape route is not blocked.




P.S., I do have a microchip so if I get out or get lost, if I get caught, I will be able to get back to Mom. Of course, the operative phrase is "if I get caught."

11 comments:

Hannah and Lucy said...

We didn't realise that you were still feral Millie - we know we very rarely see the two of you in a photograph together but thought it was just because there was no-one else there to take the picture. BTW Millie Mum has to chase us round when we go to the vets to be stabbed!!
Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx

sharon said...

Thank you for the thoughtful explanation Millie, your Mom told me a lot about you last weekend when she taught that wonderful quilt class. My "Baby" cat does not like to be cornered either, we let her do what she wants...she likes to eat and sleep.

Megan said...

But Millie ... nine years! You've had nine years of experience with your mom. You know that she won't hurt you or frighten you. She's your mom! I say that you could take a chance on her one of these days: let her pick you up and cuddle you. I think if you could just relax, you'd like it.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Pat said...

Well, Millie, you may be feral but you certainly landed on your feet!!

KitKat said...

I completely understand what you're going through Millie. My cat Mika is exactly the same. She has been here almost 17 years and is still feral. She's a purebred Burmese and came from a breeder in Southern California. She has been that way since the day I got her.
Lubs,
Angel Normie, Mika, Sasha & Grady Lewis

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

I'm glad your human understands you so well, Millie! My human can pick all of us kitties up - of course, Binga and I were no problem, but Boodie was feral when she came to live here, and being able to pick her up was a Big Deal.

Sweet Purrfections said...

We never knew you were a feral kitty. Your mom has done well with you.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Millie...I'm not feral but I understand.... everything...In my 12 years only three people have been allowed to come near me; vet aside only four have actually seen me, NO ONE is allowed to pick me up; if I wish to hiss and growl at will, I do... and my daily routine around the residents of MY house...revolve around how I want them to go...always....I think it's wonderful your mom and you get along...on your terms.....and...sometimes...hers.....

hugs from dai$y =^..*= ♥♥♥

Mickey's Musings said...

Your Mom is very patient with you Millie because she loves you.
For a feral kitty, you have adapted to living with your Mom quite well :)
Maybe over the years it will improve and your trust will grow.
Purrs Georgia and Julie,
Treasure and JJ

Monday walkers said...

It is good of you to share your feelings with us, Millie.........both you and your Mom have done wonderful jobs of getting to know one another. Well done.

Noela Sydney Australia

Poppy Q said...

I am a bit like you miss M, and do not like being picked up. I only sit on mums knee for about 5 minutes at a time, and will sleep on the bed only where she can't reach me, so I sleep at her ankles or between her knees. I do like her to pat me sometimes, and when I am sleepy.

Mums best chance of catching me is to wait til I am sleepy. Then she sweeps in and grabs me quickly. She only gets one go, as I will run away and hide from her if she tries again.

Poor mum - we did not realise quite how difficult it was to grab you Miss M. We wish you would feel safe and make it easier for her.

Julie and Poppy Q
xxx