Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Got 'Nip? Not Mom

Looky! I got 'Nip! Doesn't it look nice? Three pots of my very own Nip! Mom says it's doing very well and it has grown a lot in the last week, and it's getting bigger. She says she will have to move the plants in the smaller pots to a bigger one this weekend.

Of course her Basil is BIGGER!
She bought it already planted though, and kept it in the side hallway until it stopped frosting. Then she put it in a big pot outside, so naturally it is lots bigger. She has lots and lots of little basil plants in lots of other pots. You can see something she calls Jenn-o-vay-zee Basil in the reddish pot on the right.

So anyways, after she watered all her pots tonight (and she has a lot of them), and after she took these pictures she says "Hmm, that looks like enough Basil for a batch of Pesto."

Oh oh. Here we go. So she goes outside and picks all the big leaves off that Basil plant. (I bet it looks naked.)Then she washes and dries them. (Sheesh, they're leaves for goodness' sake!)

Then she puts some pine nuts in a pan and sticks them in the hot-as-hell box to toast. (We have a toaster, why can't she use that?)Then she puts four (count 'em - FOUR) cloves of garlic, some salt and some red pepper flakes in the machine she calls the squeezin-art. (With that blade it ought to be a cutting-art)

Then she went back outside to pick some Parsley, and washed that. (Oh yeah, this looks real appetizing, I can tell you right now. ... Not!)

And she grated up some of her special Parmezhjan cheese. (Ok, this stuff is good!)
Then she put all that stuff, plus some Lemon Juice (Yech, yech, yech) in that squeezingart thing and poured something she called X-vee-oh-oh in and ran that sucker (excuse me, cutter) and this is what happened:
Does this not look like THE most disgusting stuff in the whole planet? She called it Green Gold (ah, no, gold isn't green, it's Gold!) and then she put all over her dinner. I thought I was gonna hurl.

After that she put the yikkey green stuff (Now she calls it Pest-oh) in ice cube trays, covered it with sticky plastic wrap and stuck it in the freezing winter box.

Good. I hope it dies in that thing. What can I say? I have a very strange Mom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mom likes Tyler Florence's recipe for Pesto, which you can find here.
She says it stays bright green because of the parsley.

And check out the Bizzy for Gizzy blog.
Mu Shue Pooh has posted pictures of himself and his Gizzy quilt.

After all the Pesto business, Mom went into the sewing room and cut up
some more Holiday fabric for the Holiday Gizzys.
(Information about those coming July 1, 2007)

12 comments:

DK & The Fluffies said...

Oh my GOD! Are you trying to kill me? She messed up all that glorious basil and parsley! The Horror. Next time just have her send it all to me please.
~Fiona Bun

Tara said...

Oh, Mom was drooling, and I was yaking...

What can I say, Mom's are weird....

Tara

michico*Adan*Lego-小芥*阿丹*樂高 said...

I think your momma is great~! I love that very much~!!!

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Your 'nip looks great, Millie!

My mom is weird too - she says your mom's pesto looks delicious!

Monty Q. Kat said...

Sheesh, MomBean, stop drooling on the keyboard! I don't know if we have any pasta in the basement, you don't let me down there!

I have a fresh bag of nip we can share, Millie. Let the beans eat their green goo.

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Um, mom was with her rite up to the pine nuts. She hates pine nuts...It's a good thing cuz if she did like em we'd be seeing dat icky green stuff too. Oh, and da catnip plants will get reeely big! Our si starting to get huge again and mom sez she's gotta cut some fur drying soon.

Millie said...

Zippy, Tell your mom to use walnuts instead. They're just as good and a lot cheaper. Or pistachios.

Anonymous said...

At least yore mom didn't make YOU eat it Millie. Our mom was saying, yum yum, but we say yuck, yuck! And dere's no meat in it. What kinda fodds has no meat?

Anonymous said...

Foods, we meant what kinda foods has no meat.

Toffee K. Ripple Fuzzypants & Feline American Angels said...

Millie and Jasmine:
We have many of the same plants here! Mom and Grandma bought about a dozen basil plants last month (they weren't seeds either) plus a plant of 'nip for us.

Mom does the pickin' and washin' parts, too ... but she doesn't make pesto ... She makes bruschetta topping of tomatoes, basil, and onions. She eats it atop mozzarella cheese and thick crackers. She let me sniff, but it was NASTY ... veggies are gross.

DMM

Zoey and the furballs said...

If I made something like that, mommy would get mad at me and tell me to "STOP...EATING...THE...GRASS!" Geesh!

Anonymous said...

Millie and I have the same reaction to pesto.