Monday, January 08, 2007

Mischievous Monday


The Lady has been kinda mad at Jasmine and me lately. One of us has been marking territory. Yes, still. The down comforter has been marked several times since the Lady last blogged about it. My blue blankie has been marked. The fleece pillows have been marked. But what really set the Lady off was when she brought a basket of clean laundry up from the basement, nice and warm from the dryer. I thought it was a dreamy place to relax, so she left me alone. Later, when she started folding the stuff, she noticed it smelled... But she didn't know who did it. Another day it happened again. She was kinda noisy that time.

After that, she'd put the clean laundry in her closet and close the door if she couldn't fold it right away. But one day she didn't close the door tightly enough, and it happened again. Of course her closet is Jasmine's favorite place, so she couldn't figure out which one of us was doing "it."

It got so that she'd keep all us cats out of all closets all the time. She'd only open the closet when she was getting dressed, and even then she'd open it only to get the clothes she wanted to wear. So the closet would only be open a very few minutes.

She used to keep her bathrobe on the floor at night (because she doesn't like it lying across her feet at the end of the bed) until that got marked. After that she was really stoked. She hung up everything right away, and even started folding the laundry in her room behind closed doors after making sure all us cats were someplace else.

This has been going on for weeks; the Lady has been calling it a "P Party" and Jasmine and I the "P Girls." It never sounded like a compliment.

Then one day last week the Lady was putting her socks on when I walked into the room, ambled to her closet and climbed into her laundry basket. Well, I wasn't sitting. And I had my tail straight up behind me... She shouted "HEY" but it was too late. I had marked her dirty laundry.

I jumped out of there as fast as I could and ran away. The Lady made a lot of grumbling noises and I think she said some bad words, which I know I can't put in this blog.

Today she did the laundry. She brought up a nice basket of clean warm laundry, and set it down on the coffee table.... C'mon, a nice warm basket of laundry is as comforting to any cat as nip is playful. So I jumped in. And got the urge. I lifted my tail and started to get ready...

HEY, NO! GET OUT OF THERE! OUT! OUT! OUT!

I got out, but that didn't make her much pleased.

21 comments:

Kung-Fu Bella said...

Does the laundry clothes talk to you, as well?

Anonymous said...

Hi Millie,

You sure are pretty!! Have you been spayed yet?? Maybe that would help - just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Millie, we agree with Ninjacat. Getting a hoo-haw-ectomy can really cut down on both spraying and agression. We know the Lady has been putting it off until you were more comfortable with beans, but you're a big girl now and it's probably time to take care of it now.

Millie said...

The Lady thought so too. I guess that means I have a trip to the V-e-t in the very near future. Not sure I am gonna like that.

Madness, Trouble, Squish and Milkbone said...

Yes Millie it's time for that little girl operation.

Daisy said...

Hmmm, markin' yer territory... that sounds like fun. I might hafta try that...

never mind.

Mommie just said "Daisy No No". In her mean voice, too. So, I had better not.

Christine and FAZ said...

What's this marking stuff, I don't know about it but it sounds fun? Do you think my humans would like it?

Pearl C. Pritchard said...

Yes -- get thee to a vet.

Anonymous said...

Yup more than time for the operation, my oldest used to spray but she hasn't since that happened. Sorry about the trip to the V-E-T Millie,but it really will be best for you!
Elphie, The Feline Sextet's hoomom

LZ said...

Blame Jasmine. Our grandma has a Jasmine and she pees everywhere. Its always Jasmine, its a proven fact.

Kaze

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Millie

Ping STILL does it ... the *S* word. Momma doesn't know what to do. She has tried lots of finks but it doesn't werk. Ping likes to *S* the bedskirts. So he has been banned from the bedrooms. Momma caught him several times.

Abby

Anonymous said...

we hasn't effur gone anywhere but our litter box since we wuz brought in off the streets, so we duzzn't know 'bout that urge, but we did hear that if ya izzn't "fixed" then that marking stuff tends ta happen.

Anonymous said...

You might also want to try spraying Feliway in the spots where they're spraying. It's kind of expensive (and I haven't used it myself) but lots of people (www.catsite.com [search the forums]) claim it's good to help cut down on aggression & spraying. I saw some at my local PetCo (I think it was ~$30) but didn't get any. Good luck!

Just Ducky said...

Oh dear! Millie, the laundry is NOT for doing your business. Maybe it is time for your operation.

Mr. Hendrix said...

Hi! I think a who-ha ectomy would help (it helped mommy's furiend's 9 month old rescued girl kitty) but I've been sniped and haf never had a problem. Like Grr, Midnight and Cocoa, I've not gone outside the litterbox since I was rescued. Mommy had me snipped about a week after I got here (I was wild enough, I didn't need the daddy parts!) so I didn't get a chance to get the urge to mark.
Warm laundry sounds like a great place to start if I was going to though!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

My Ollie would P when he got nervous or felt anxious. I got the Feliway plug in and kept one at each end of the house for good coverage (plus they were near the 2 main P corners). They actually did the trick and we've been using them less and less (I think I'd faint if he P'ed in the new house or in the laundry).

Good luck and hopefully the v-e-t will help!

Nikki

Artsy Catsy said...

Hello Darling,

Don't be spay-scared! All 15 of us at ArtsyCatsy been-there-done-that, and it freed us up to get on with life.

By the way, I'm Rocky, CEO (Cat Executive Officer) of ArtsyCatsy. Come over sometime to sniff us out & see my catstaff of 15 train our artist humans to start a new business for cat lovers. If we make you purr, want to link to each other? E-meow me anytime at ArtsyCatsy@yahoo.com.

Frostin said...

Millie,

Tell the Lady to have the vet check you for a urinary track infection also. Monika's Mommy has an 8 year old cat that has been fixed for years and he started marking. Turned out to be a UTI.

If it turns out you do have one, she will need to have Jasmine and Gizzi checked also.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the vist to the vet. I been there and dun that, so to speak...I'm a boy cat after all. I never did the badness of which you speak...but I've been spoiled all my life. Did anyone stop to think, you do what you do because you love the peeps and want the world to know it? Again good luck with the vet.

Unknown said...

Dear Millie, I need help with this problem too, It is the older cat, Lily who is marking to protest the addition of a kitten to our family.
Good luck at the vet.

Toffee K. Ripple Fuzzypants & Feline American Angels said...

I will tell you all that sometimes we cats are reacting to the smell of bleach on the clothes. It smells kinda like when cats are "in heat" and the problem may go away as soon as you (Millie) are spayed.
Good luck at the V-E-T!
DMM