Sunday, July 01, 2007

Holiday Bizzy for Gizzy Quilts!

I'm gonna let Mom tell you about her idea for the Holiday Gizzys. Take it away Mom...

"As the Bizzy for Gizzy quilts grew to be a phenomenon, I realized that many cats would like "Holiday Gizzys" and that I could be deluged with orders for Christmas. Since I already have a demanding job, and the quilts take a big chunk of my remaining free time, I tried to think of a way to make Holiday Gizzys that would be fair to the cats who wanted them, yet provide me with enough time to enjoy the holiday season with my family, free of the stress of a drop-dead delivery deadline.

"Fortunately, retailers offer Christmas fabric very early in the year. Making a fixed number of quilts, alerting the blogosphere of their number, price, and sale date ahead of time seemed to me the fairest way to do it."

Holiday Gizzy Quilt Plan

1. There will be 20 quilts only.

2. The size & construction of the Holiday Gizzy Quilts will be the same as now: 24” square, 100% top quality cotton fabric on the top and bottom with fleece in the middle. As usual, the quilts are machine washable and dryable.

3. The Holiday Gizzy quilts will be in the traditional Christmas colors of Red, Green, Gold and White. There will be no predominantly blue or purple fabrics, no religious themes, no Santas, no cats or dogs, and no "novelty” designs. I feel this will make the quilts timeless and have wide appeal. And -gasp- they can be used as woofie quilts also!

4. Photographs of each of the finished Holiday Gizzys will be posted on the Bizzy for Gizzy blog as they are completed so you can see them ahead of time.

5. They will be sold first-come, first-served.

6. No pre-ordering. No waiting lists.

7. Orders will be limited to two Holiday Gizzy quilts per email address per 24-hour period. This way all cats that want a quilt will have the opportunity to get one.

8. The Holiday Gizzy quilts go on sale no earlier than Sunday August 5, 2007. The exact sale date will be announced two weeks ahead of time. My original idea was to start selling the quilts on November 1, but so many cats expressed an interest in them now, I have decided to make them available sooner. Information about how to purchase a Holiday Gizzy will be posted here and the Bizzy for Gizzy blog on that day.

9. Nobody gets to choose. I'm going to package the Holiday Gizzys up the day before they go "on sale." When an order comes in, I will grab a bag, slap a label on it and ship it out. Even I won't know which quilt will go where.

10. When they're gone, they're gone.

11. There will be no custom "Christmas" quilts. And I will not promise "Christmas Delivery" for any other quilt. Women have too much to do at the Holidays already.

12. Payment will be through Paypal only (to avoid the "check is in the mail" syndrome). You don’t need a Paypal account to pay through Paypal. They can take your credit card or they can suck money right out of your checking account. And they have “e-checks.” It’s safe and secure.

13. As of July 1, 2007, the price for a Gizzy quilt has increased to $45 each. I have really been agonizing over this. The truth is the quilts take far more than 2 hours to make, and 100% cotton fabrics now routinely sell for $10.00/yard.

14. The price for a Holiday Gizzy Quilt is $52.50 USD each and includes US Domestic Priority Mail shipping and a small handling fee. International shipping will be extra.

15. Since I make the quilts, I make the rules, and can bend or change them as I see fit.



Millie here: Mom has set up a preview slide show of the Holiday Gizzys over at the Bizzy for Gizzy blog. Check it out HERE!

11 comments:

Daisy said...

I think you have come up with a great process for the quilts. Because you should be able to enjoy the holidays, too!

Monty Q. Kat said...

...how many quilts do you have to buy to get a free Milliekiss? I'm just sayin'....

Artsy Catsy said...

Milly, the Holiday Gizzy quilts are gorgeous! And could you tell me how you get your human artist to be so organized? Nothing I try seems to work with mine!

Rocky
& the Artsy Catsy disorganized bunch

Lilly Lu, Iris and Maxwell Mufsa Millon said...

millie can we get a grizzy a a suprizee for a hoilday freind

Lilly Lu ( who loves her pink grizzy and wants to give one to her freind too only we pay and send you the shipping adress)


Lilly Lu

Milton said...

Everything sounds fair.
Oooo, I'll have to be on my toes. I want to give one to a very special kitty!
---Beezer

Toffee K. Ripple Fuzzypants & Feline American Angels said...

I think that the instructions are furry clear and I will have to light a fire under Mom to get her up and ready when the "sell date" comes so that we will be sure to get one. I'm glad that you raised the price, too. Fabric here has gotten furry expensive, too ... You've gotta cover your costs!
DMM

michico*Adan*Lego-小芥*阿丹*樂高 said...

This one is very beautiful, I just love this color~!

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Millie, your mom has a great plan for the holiday Gizzy quilts! I certainly hope I can get one, as I love my Gizzy quilt! :)

The Wanderer said...

I think for all the time and effort plus materials, this is a very fair price. My cats are pestering me to buy them a kitty hammock from the fortypaws blog folks, but once i get a hammock, we might need to get a few gizzy quilts cause you can't have a house without tons of kitty accessories...or at least thats what my furry ones are saying. ;)

LZ said...

I think this is very fair and very organized! Your mom is so sweet to make so many of these quilts to make us kitties happy and remember sweet Gizzy. Make sure your mom has some FUN on her vacation that doesn't involve the sewing room :).

Kaze

Astrid (…and the kitties too) said...

great way to deal with the holiday quilts. it's perfect to make effurykitty happy and leave you to have a quiet hoiliday time too.

...and they are very pretty as the blue and red ones are!